Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Inspired


This must be one of my favourite dresses in my collection at the moment. Even though picking a favourite piece is like asking a mother to choose her favourite child in the bunch. This dress was inspired by part of my Tsonga tradition. I was shocked that there are not many pictures of Tsonga women in their traditional dress on the web. I really would have loved to show you where the inspiration comes from for this dress. But anyway I will do my best to explain. The name "Ncheka" is a name given to colourful or embroidered fabric that Tsonga women wear over their tradition skirt called a "Xibelani". These fabrics are normally brightly coloured with a print or just plain with hand embroidery. Two ncheka's ( plural is "micheka") are worn at a time. They are square pieces of material draped across the body and tired at the shoulders over a plain t-shirt over a "xibelani" or sometimes called a "ndindani". I loved the shape that the fabrics make as they cross in the front and as they drape on the body. I translated this in jersey to create a contemporary piece that pays homage to traditional dress without being too much of a costume. I will try and get some Tsonga women in traditional dress so you can see the translation of inspiration to contemporary fashion.

I showed a black, short sexy version of this dress in Nigeria for the BNC celebrations. A little studded belt and leggings gave the dress a rock chick appeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment